Sunday, March 05, 2006

I Got Robbed.......Again

Mock trial competitions are over after lasting damn near three weeks. The competition was challenging, interesting, and a little fun. I must admit I learned a lot about myself, in terms of flaws and strengths.

To start with my original trial partner, a black female had to drop out due to a scheduling conflict, so that left me without a partner before the competitions even started. So who am I paired up with? The last person I would even think of, an older white conservative GOP'er. Someone who last semester I put on blast while discussing the war. We hadn't even spoken since that time. So as soon as I heard he was my partner I was like damn, how in the heck this happen. But after some soul searching I told myself to put aside any personal beefs with him, and be about yo bizness. So, you can imagine our first conversation, I was the consummate team player, compromising and conceding to damn near everything, just so we could get off to a good start. I can only imagine what he was thinking about our match-up. Think about it, a liberal, tad bit militant, Cali kid teamed up with a white older conservative male, Bush lover. Impossible aint it? We were kind of like that Bacardi and Coke commercial.

Well, our first round, we had to go up against my frat and another good guy. We all have pride so, I really did not want to lose against these guys. When it comes to competing I have to admit I hate losing. It could be athletics, board games or whatever, I am gonna do my damnest to keep from losing, I'll damn near cheat a lil kid playing checkers to win. Damn, did I say that? Anyway, we did not win. I have to admit, I kind of dropped the ball that round for letting the time clock run low. We are only allowed two losses in the competition, after that gotta go home.

My partner and I went on to win six competitions in a row, including a rematch against my boys. We were one victory away from going to the championship round, when the robbery occurred. I really felt like we kicked our opponent's azz, really! I can't really point out anything we did not do well to get the win. For real, if we sucked I would admit it, but we boned this dude, but he still got the victory. My score sheet indicated I out-scored him, but in the end, he beat us by two points. Bogus aint it?

I can't front and act like I knew we would get that far, but we really did a pretty decent job, considering how we got teamed up. I actually enjoyed working with my partner. I would have never imagined working with him. I tried my best to put aside our political differences and win as many rounds as we could. Out of 43 teams, to come in 3rd is not bad. I hate we loss the way we did, it would have been kool making it to the championship, but I guess that's just how it goes. Who knows, maybe I gained a new friend out of all of this.

I have to thank all of the folk who volunteered as witnesses for us. You all were great! I owe you all a few lunches. Get at me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

LAURYN HILL lyrics
MAXWELL lyrics
free web counter
web counter