Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Preciate It

These last few days Beloved has been on my azz, and I admit walking around looking crazy. (I hear that is my normal look, but that's neither here nor there.) Beloved and I were at school till 3:00 am Saturday, and a brotha is behind on sleep. I am leaving Court, and as I am headed out I run across a Judge, who I became acquainted with while working for his brother when I only talked about going to law school.

I was trying to get to my car, so I just wanted to acknowledge him, by greeting him, dapping him up and rolling on.

Instead he wanted to chat it up for a few. I was kind of being fake, you know, when you really not in the mood to chatter, cause you got ish on your mind. The question about school was posed, and I gave the generic, all is well speech, one day at a time kind of answer.

So I guess he's reading me, he proceeds to tell me, "You know Zee, I know that face, I remember that face when I was in school." He then stopped me, put his arm on my shoulder, and said, I remember when you were just talking about going back to school, now you are at the end of the journey. He shared some of his struggles with me when he ways in school and contrasted it to my experiences, and when he ended it, he told me in one of the most sincerest voices I have heard in a long time, (not counting mom's, pops, sister's or mt or pk's) that he was proud of me, and he shook my hand at the same time, the kind of handshake that reinforces ones words.

I wasn't really expecting this type of exchange from him, I really didn't. And for that moment, I kind of forgot about Beloved, other academic deadlines, MPRE's, Barbri fees, Bar Application fees, how many jobs, tickets, and homes I have lived in in ten years. I forgot all of that mess for just a few.

I guess the ironic thing is, those words did not come from my own,(you feel me?). It wasn't from those I consider to be mentors, from those, you think you want your legal game to be like. It wasn't from those old school lawyers you try to impress or have recognize your abilities. It came from a cat, that I only see now and again, but who had not forgotten my face.

So Judge, I appreciate your words, the exchange meant alot.

Time to put Beloved to rest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

LAURYN HILL lyrics
MAXWELL lyrics
free web counter
web counter