Monday, April 02, 2007

Re-Up

It's been a minute. So much going on, so little time to allow my brain an opportunity to flow.
Got an opportunity to get to Atlanta and see some old faces. Good to see that everyone is still moving forward, getting closer to reaching their goals.
I dunno, I feel like I am in standby mode, like a plane waiting for clearance to take off. It's somewhat of an uncomfortable position. Cause you just don't know, I could be so close to the finish line, or I could come up short.
I wanted to also take a moment to acknowledge the passing of COGIC's Leader, Bishop G.E. Patterson, 1939 - 2007. He did a many great things in Memphis and throught the country. He inspired many, and his leadership will be missed. I am curious as to whether there will be a power struggle within COGIC with him gone.
Got a chance to attend the festivities surrounding Major League Baseball's Civil Rights Game. I got a chance to chat with Dr. Charles Ogletree of Harvard, and Theodore Shaw, Director of the NAACP Legal Defense Fund.
Both gentlemen were very cordial and encouraging as it relates to my future plans. Oh....they both indicated they'd love to come speak at U-M Law......
Got to see one of my favorite groups, the GAP Band. Charlie Wilson minus some of the original members. They were still bumping nonetheless. I swear that dude thinks he is 26 or something, he old enough to be my grandfather.
Big up's to MK making all that happen.
But with the good, there is always something a little bitter. Spike Zee and Spike Lee were scheduled to meet up on Saturday, however due to a previous commitment, I missed my opportunity. My boy GN1 filled in for me. I hear he and Spike are going to work on making School Daze into a musical.
During the symposium, it was argued that Major League Baseball needs to reach out to black youth and encourage them to play baseball. As of Spring training this year there were only 70 or so Black baseball players, clearly down from the 80's and early 90's. Dave Winfield a former baller, argued that baseball is no reaching out to Latino's and player from the Caribbean as well as Asian players and not to black youth. I don't think I agree with that argument. I don't see the Latino community asking the NBA to reach out to their youth, nor do I see the Asian community getting on the NFL. Black youth today are pretty much choosing between the NBA and the NFL. Hip hop has pretty much adopted the NBA, (as the NBA fights that image), and Football is what it is. We see those players in videos and hip hop commercials, when was the last time I saw a black baseball player in anything? Hmmm...... In Cali, we were able to play all three sports year round. In the south, it seems kids gravitate more towards basketball and football. Baseball can be a little boring if you crave constant excitement. If black kids want to play baseball, they will. Baseball unlike football and basketball, are allowed to draft right out of high school. Kids can make a buck or two immediately out of high school with baseball unlike the other sports that require some college experience. It's all about the money though, black folk aint making Major League Baseball any money, so why should baseball spend its money on reaching out to the black community? So till then, buy your kid a bat, a glove and a ball, and see where it takes him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

LAURYN HILL lyrics
MAXWELL lyrics
free web counter
web counter