Saturday, December 31, 2005

Backtracking

I had the opportunity to go to Los Angeles to visit a law firm I'm interested in clerking for over the summer. While there, I had the opportunity to return to the neighborhood where I spent about 5 years of my life (9-14). It was in the heart of LA, a mixture of low income blacks, hispanics and koreans. It was not the best of neighborhoods, it had its share of crime, and gang related gun violence. I recall playing outside outside one day when a car pulled into the driveway of a house across the street, the driver of the car jumped out with a sawed off shot gun. Someone in the house opened the door, and when he did, the driver shot him. I recall seeing the man, falling backwards into the house, and the shooter blasting off in the car. Funny thing is, I watched that sh@#, while standing on the gate of our apartment complex, did not move or anything. I learned how to play baseball in the alley behind our apartment. I wonder whatever happened to some of the kids that I played with. Man. I just shake my head when I think about those times in my life back then. Times were hard for my folks back then. I have to give credit to pops for keeping his head up then. I know my fam would not be where it is today, had he punked out or gave in back then. Image hosting by Photobucket We lived on the bottom floor, 5 of us in a one bedroom apartment.

Anyway, I got to go to the First Black College Hoops Classic in LA. http://www.blackcollegehoopclassic.org/home.php I expected a greater turn out, but I recognize this is the west coast. The event took place on the campus of USC. I lucked up on a free ticket from this old lady after some dude tried to pimp me for a $50.00 floor seat. I had a good time though. The game was actually televised on ESPN-U. Viginia Union took it to Bowie State. There was a greek stepshow after the game. My bruhs laid it down, I was impressed with their performance. There is a definite difference between those greeks who pledge in the south and those on the west. I was still shown love by the Bruhs and the AKA's from U-C Irvine and UCLA. Regardless of the low turnout, I think I will support the event next winter. Image hosting by Photobucket My homegirl, Spicer was also in the house representing Howard U.

Home of the USC Trojans

2 Comments:

At 2:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You got your new girl all over your blog! It must be LOVE. Besides, it looks like she needs a prescription to Proactive!

 
At 2:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOOOOOWWWW somebody is a H-A-T-E-R. I agree it is a horrible pic though zee. Take it down!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

LAURYN HILL lyrics
MAXWELL lyrics
free web counter
web counter