Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Dispatch From London # 10

I got my paper done, woohoo......
Some of us decided to leave London on Thursday for Rome(before I had even written one word for my paper, not too bright.. I never really considered going to Rome. My knowledge of Rome consisted of history classes covering the Roman Empire, other than that, never really thought too much of it. Just being here in London was a feat for me (Shout out to Pops), but I decided to go ahead and bust a move down south. To say the least, it was an experience. Fourteen of us hit the road, five from U-M, four from Southern, four from Texas Southern, and a classmates frat brother. Our voyage would begin with a 45 minute train ride to the airport. From there we would hop a plane, similar to Airtran or Blue Sky, a no frill get on get off service to Rome.

We took a bus from the airport in Rome to the main train staion in Rome. I saw the movie Hostel, so myself along with a few others were salty on the idea of staying two days in a hostel. Since we trying to travel on the cheap, we had to take what we could find. As soon as I saw the area we were staying in, I was like damn why did I come. I saw a rat about the size of a poodle, and began praying the place was going to be decent. We found the spot, and the rooms were actually decent, the toilet area was also the shower all in one, that was about the only complaint I had. It even had a T.V. Since I have not cradled a remote control in weeks, I took the liberty to sit back and watch MTV in Italian. There were a few U.S., shows on as well in Italian, I did not too much care, it was just something to watch.

We got up and after studying a map, plotted out our course. Train was going to be our form of transportation. We decided to head for the Coliseum. It is said that between 50,000-80,000 spectators. So as we rode the train I got a little excited about seeing such an ancient building. Getting off the train, and walking up the ramp, I was not prepared for the sight I would see after turning the corner.

Then we went inside....

We then moved on to other sites near the Coliseum, alot of the places had been damaged from battle, and time. Nonetheless, it was eye opening.

This is....then
This is now

Taking a break.......
My favorite structure.....
The last leg of our 13 mile walk.

Our day ultimately ended with us getting a tad bit lost, and rained on while we walked back to our Hostel. I don't think I have ever taking so many pictures in my life. Part two later in the week, got some reading to do. Keep me in your prayers.

On a serious note, I have to mention the girl who was raped, and ultimately killed allegedly(I use "allegedly" to be politically correct) by a U.S. freedom bringing soldier. Click on the link for two articles I tripped up on while not doing my reading. http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2006-07-09T161420Z_01_COL944937_RTRUKOC_0_UK-IRAQ-RAPE.xml&pageNumber=1&imageid=&cap=&sz=13&WTModLoc=NewsArt-C1-ArticlePage1

http://cannonfire.blogspot.com/2006/07/her-face.html

2 Comments:

At 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is great to see you guys are having such a great time. God has really shined.

 
At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God has really shined on you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

LAURYN HILL lyrics
MAXWELL lyrics
free web counter
web counter