Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Sports Legends

A moment of silence for Dr. Martin Luther King............It was on this day that he was slain while in Memphis.

Coach Eddie Robinson the famed Grambling State University Football Coach passed on today at the age of 88. When you think of the SWAC, or Black College Football, his name should first pop to your mind. Coach Robinson guided a many young black men, not only on the field but in life as well. He groomed Doug Williams, the Super Bowl MVP Quarterback that took all the of supposed glory from John Elway (the media was all on John's jock), when he served the Denver Broncos. He coached Grambling for 57 years and complied a career record of 408-165-1. That's absolutely sick, 57 years on the same job. That I dare say will never happen in sports today. Heck, he is the only reason I coach Grambling State on College Game Day for the PS II. (Yea, I still have the PS II, aint been upgraded yet.)
Press release from his family, "Our love and admiration for Eddie were unyielding, as was Eddie’s for his immediate family and his extended Grambling family. Eddie was the consummate husband, father, teacher, leader, role model, and, most of all, the greatest of Americans. Words cannot express the loneliness that I will feel without my beloved Eddie. However, I realize, and the immediate family realizes, the greatness that Eddie contributed to our society. He will forever fill our hearts, minds, and souls "
Here's good read on him, http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=lapchick_richard&id=2825428
On a different note, I gotta give props to Coach Pat Summit and her Tennessee Lady Vols Basketball Team. They won it all. Those girl are straight ballers.....I think that's coaches seventh NCAA title. Not too shabby.....
What's this I see? Ok.....I have to congratulate Ashley Shields. Ashley is I think one of the most dominant high school basketball players in the Memphis City Schools. She was highly recruited about four years back and actually signed a letter of intent with the University of Memphis. Unfortunately, she could never get her grades right and ended up dropping out. The last two years, she has been playing at Southwest Community College here in Memphis. Playing is an understatement, more like dominating her opponents. She scored 65 points about two weeks ago in the recent tournament.I am not gonna lie, if she and I played a game of pickup, she would give me a little competition, I mean, I would have to earn a win, but I would win.......I would.........for real.........Anyway, she was drafted by the Houston Comets of the WNBA, the eight selection overall. Eight out of 39 girls is no doubt quite impressive. It's almost equivalent to being drafted out of High School. To know her background, and where she has come from, and the adversities she has faced, it's a blessing for her. I am truly proud of her, and take back every bad thing I said about her when she was abusing my lil sister and her Central teammates on the floor when she was at Melrose. Let me be yo agent...! For more, http://www.wnba.com/draft2007/prospect_ashley_shields.html

1 Comments:

At 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We love you Eddie Rob, thanks for everything!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

LAURYN HILL lyrics
MAXWELL lyrics
free web counter
web counter