Monday, September 11, 2006

Remembering 9/11

I was getting dressed for work, watching C-Span as I normally do. I was casually listening when I overheard something about a plane crash in New York. I paid no attention to it and continued getting dressed. I was making my way out of the door, when I noticed the kitchen t.v. on NBC, and observed one of the World Trade Center buildings in flames and with smoke billowing out of it. The announcer had indicated a plane had flown into the building. My first thought, was some commuter plane or novice pilot somehow erred and collided with the building. I grabbed a bagel and jumped in the car for work. I listened to Tom Joiner during the ride, news was still developing so there were no new updates, but the words "possible terrorist attack" was let loose. I got to my office with the quickness, so I could get on the internet and get an update on what was going on. The strangest thing was, I was on the net, but every news website I hit up, would not connect. I thought it might just be my computer, so I hopped on another, same thing. I decided to make my way to the office library, passing a few co-workers we each asked each other what was going on in New York, none of us had the full scoop yet, so on down the hall I went. I cut the t.v., on, and damn, the second tower had been hit, while I was on the road. Now, I am in disbelief, now, I need a seat, now I know it was not some careless pilot, but it was something more.
Things that shook me most...........
Watching the people jump from the building. I can't imagine the thought process. I guess they were trapped, and did not think they would be rescued, I just can't imagine. A survivor mentioned hearing loud thuds on the ground, and then realizing those were people who were jumping from the buildings.
Thinking about those who were on the planes that crashed and what took place on the planes.
Praying for the people who were in the buildings when they both collapsed. I know I sat in front of the t.v. hoping people survived. Just watching the buildings fall, was (searching for the words). I would never think anyone would survive, but over the next few days I was hopeful someone, anyone, would survive.
I don't think I got angry, how could you when at that time you did not know who was responsible for it?
Two-thousand, nine hundred and seventy three people lost their lives on 9/11, with 24 people listed as missing. May God have mercy on them and those who loved them.
So reflect on the day the way you see fit, some choose to exploit this day for their own means and some seek to keep reminding you of it to keep you in fear.
Some extra reading, http://news.independent.co.uk/world/politics/article1433404.ece , http://www.suntimes.com/output/quicktakes/cst-nws-qt11.html , http://news.independent.co.uk/world/politics/article1466758.ece

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

LAURYN HILL lyrics
MAXWELL lyrics
free web counter
web counter