Friday, December 08, 2006

What a Waste

The War on drugs in BS. For real. We have had a war on drugs since I was child and that was not too long ago. But we aint winning the ish. How bout Afghanistan the country we brought liberty to, (so I was told) is leading the world in poppy production, the ish to make most of the worlds heroin. I don't think any of us know anyone growing coca in their backyards, you know, the ish that makes cocaine.
So I am in court, during sentencing. I come across a black woman in her early thirties. She was arrested for selling $5.OO worth of crack. Yes, $5.00, not $500, not $5000.00. I think to myself, why in the hell was this woman even here? As my though process gets deeper, I am thinking, how much money did it cost taxpayers to arrest, book, process, jail, arraign, transport, have her appear before the court, to plead guilty, and to do 2 years in jail time? Is it really worth it?
You thinking bout it?
Still thinking?
Let me help you.........................................hell no it aint.
Think about it, why even arrest the chick when you determine all she had was $5.00 worth of crack to sell? Really. What she needed was help. Instead of arresting her, send her to some rehabilitation center. Instead she will serve maybe 8 months of a two year sentence and likely end back up on the streets. She needs help, not jail.
What a waste. How the hell cocaine getting in the hood anyway?
Memo to whoever. If you plan on killing someone, don't put it on a track and rap about it.

1 Comments:

At 1:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree totally about how the judicial system works, The woman intended to sell 5.00 worth of cracks has some deep underlying issues, there should be program to her her deal with her matters so that she can be a productive member of society. I think jail may help real criminals, you know the ones that are menancing and surly. But to a woman or a man who may have wondered off a positive path, jail can only make them harder and more inclined to real crime when they get because they know that's what they got accustomed to while in prison. Sad but true. I have many prosepctive students who have been incarcerated at some point and the are given the run-a-around from the government to even get funded to get educated. Point blank education saves lives. Like my favorite quote states,(the one I made up). "A man who is not educated stands on another man's belief" simply put follow you on path.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

LAURYN HILL lyrics
MAXWELL lyrics
free web counter
web counter