Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Wendy v. 3-6

A few posts ago while discussing Imus I wondered if perhaps the powers that be would direct their frustrations towards the world of Hip Hop. I may have even signed on to the idea of bringing heat to those rappers who drop the n-bomb or bishes or hizzoes in every other verse. As I marinated over it though, I was more of the opinion that instead of going after the rappers, why not go after the suits that are really making the money off of these acts.
Wendy Thomas, a local columnist in the Commercial Appeal has decided to kick up some dust over 3-6 Mafia, a homegrown Memphis group, (hell you know who they be) performing in the Beale Street Music Fest as a part of Memphis in May. She wants the group to be barred from performing. Here, you read her column. http://http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/local_columnists/article/0,2845,MCA_25341_5498161,00.html
So........I am trying to articulate a reason to disagree with her and her efforts to have the group removed from MIM. If I do, then I totally contradict my previous post. I felt the wind from her jab with, "While the band plays on, decent people offer weak rationalizations about how we don't buy this music, we won't let our children listen to it, but as for scrounging up the courage to take a public, if lonely, stance, we're not interested. We don't care, not enough, not yet."
Hmm....Why is that? While I agree that there needs to be a push to hold such artists responsible for their content, I still wanna bump them when I feel like being in that state of mind, and I still wanna watch'em live when they perform. Or maybe I wanna pick and choose which artist takes heat and who doesn't? Allow the groups I bump to do their thing while trashing those artists I can't stand. That's quite hypocritical on my part if I must say so.
I could just argue she's just hating on 3-6, she's had beef since their Grammy. Naw, she admits, while acknowledging their filthy lyrics, MIM stands to make money by booking the group. The group will get paid for performing, yes, but MIM ultimately is getting paid.
So as much as I hate to agree with Ms. Thomas, I must admit, she is correct. But that doesn't mean I am co-signing on her revolution at this very moment. Damn that, we can start the revolution after the Music-fest? See, I wanna find that middle ground. Let's get all politically correct after MIM, why we wanna ruin that weekend for erybody else?
Go on and say it, Damn Shame aint it?
Oh yea, last week I wrote about the college students that died in Virginia and the on-going military deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan. Here's an article forwarded to me, thanks Naj, http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070423/ap_on_re_mi_ea/afghanistan_flag_complaint

1 Comments:

At 12:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a problem with Wendy and her comments on 3-6. Although I'm not a huge 3-6 fan and I won't dispute the fact that they have explicit lyrics she should really focus on her main issue..she doesn't like rap. She's entitled to have that opinion. But if she really wanted to ban acts with explicit lyrics she should have also started a petition to ban some of the alternative/rock/metal bands as well. Hell I'm not a die hard rock fan but even I shuddered when I saw Iggy and the Stooges on the roster for the Music Fest. So if she wants to tackle offensive music she shouldn't just single out rap music.

Kiki

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

LAURYN HILL lyrics
MAXWELL lyrics
free web counter
web counter