Friday, October 21, 2005

I got Robbed.....in a sense....

Wow what a week! I have to say I had a somewhat nerve wrecking week. A lot of my stress came from participating in the Advanced Moot Court Competition at the law school. The competition pits law students against each other, and judged as well by law students. It's funny because, the judges are classmates that you have either kicked it socially, or have talked shit about it class. So its somewhat awkward as you sit before them arguing, cause you want to either laugh at them or scowl at them as they shoot questions at you.
Either way, I jumped into the competition solo. I decided not to recruit a classmate to be my partner, I guess because of the possibility that one would say, be your partner, hell naw! So I was designated a partner from amongst the list of solo participants. Luck of the draw. Well my partner turned out to be a chick from Chattanooga, TN, whom I'd never seen in the law school before. Upon meeting she told me straight up, I'm no good at this, to which I replied, aw girl, its not that bad, you will be fine. In the back of my mind I'm thinking........(thought left out). I am no Johnny Cochran at this stage, so how could I hate.
We lasted a total of two rounds without a victory. The first round, I'll admit, I was a little nervous, not because I did not know the case, but because I had not really memorized all of the thoughts I wanted to get out. I hate that, cause I feel like I am rambling when I don't have my thoughts in my brain, tightly organized. I recovered though and finished pretty well. My partner though, when she got up to argue started fairly well, then out of the blue, I could have swore she was about to cry while at the podium. I kinda looked at her, and tried to put on my face one of those, u go girl looks, I dunno know if it worked.
Anyway, the robbery occurred in round two. I just happened to be going up against this cat I ripped during a debate on the war. I had to be tight for this round. The only thing is, since we lost the first one, it meant, we had to argue on the other side. I prepared well, memorized a few key points and was ready to rumble with ole boy. I maintained my kool, and made a pretty good presentation. My partner, was even a lot more confident. My opponent, got up and spent five minutes arguing an issue that was not even an issue in the case, and even the judges were like dude, what the hell you talking bout. Hs partner was tight as hell though, she really kicked ass, and because of that, we lost again. Moot court sucks!!! I admit to being a sore loser, I will cheat to beat a child playing checkers if I had to.
On another note, I don't know why my peeps come to me for advice about relationships. Lord knows I am the last person that needs to be dishing out advice. Issue 1: Conflict of Interest - K, a male is dating J a female. J, is involved with some dude living in another country. K and J, kick it for a while, at all times K is knowing about J's other friend. K meets some of J's female friends while dating her and kind of notices M. K and J mutually cease dating, when J's feeling get caught up. Two years later, K runs into M, who is good friends with J. Can J date M now? I dunno, might be a conflict of interest here. I refrained from giving my boy any advice on this one.
I think I give good counsel to my friends generally, but I find it comical sometimes because, rarely do I ever follow my own good conscious on the same subjects I advise on. It's like, there is a voice in the back of your mind, that guides you on everything you do. It pretty much tells you, hey man, do this, its the right thing to do, or hey fool, what the hell you thinking bout, that shit be wrong. I think when you can adhere to that voice that is advising you on your actions, you may be on your way to a life of good actions. If you find yourself going counter to that voice, you've got some work to do. Where do you fall in the equation?

2 Comments:

At 1:05 PM, Blogger MIZPOWDERPINK said...

Aww too bad on the moot court assignment..you will do better next time. In the future you should go after that partner..that way you have some control over the quality of your team.

It depends on how close M and K are. So sure J can date M, but they need to be willing to deal with the consequence. I don't think I would do it. I would think that J had his eye on M the entire time we were dating.

In terms of advice, I give the best advice. Problem solving is my area of expertise. However, I have lots of work to do on taking my own. I think I tend to use all my experiences as an excuse to do certain things. When I'm giving advice, I'm looking at the situation objectively so it's easier.

 
At 11:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, You give good advice SOMETIMES. I know you be trying to down play stuff to come back a year later and then be like...Yo that really was *ucked up what had happened. LOL! I repented for that N.O. statement when I made it...now look, ain't that a B***h??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

LAURYN HILL lyrics
MAXWELL lyrics
free web counter
web counter