Sunday, May 14, 2006

Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day to all the mom's out there. Most moms wear a many hats on any given day. From nurturer to punisher, to negotiator to encourager, all in all its a tough job. It's all appreciated though.

Not discounting anyone in my life, I think that I have had four mother figures in my life. Obviously my biological mother has played a big role in my life. With me having three younger sisters, she has to spread the love. She did though make a lot of decisions for me that has gotten me to this point in my life. My relocation put some distance (mileage)between us, but she has still been there for me spiritually and mentally during some of my more stressful moments. I am very thankful to have her in my life. Plus she makes some helluva chicken or shrimp curry and samosas which is always a plus. Love her very much.

My Godmother no doubt has had a major influence in my life, as a matter of fact, but for her, a lot of the things I have been able to get into, education, and career wise was made possible by her. She has always had my back when things got thick. Period. She has always treated me like her own biological and I love her for it. I am so thankful that she and my mom's friendship led to our relationship, I really don't know where I would be without her guidance and support as well. Much love to her.

Granny Tate, talk about a strong woman. She has made some serious sacrifices for me and lord knows I am thankful. When I moved to come to school out here, she opened her doors for me, let me drive her car, or gave me rides when a brotha did not have a car. I must say though, that riding with her was a trip, she was not going to turn the air on in the car even when it was 110 degrees outside, and she was not gonna drive over 40 mph to get some air circulating in the van. Whew, those rides were long and hot. She was one of the first black nurses in Memphis, integrating some of the bigger Hospitals in the City of Memphis. She worked hard in her lifetime. She is a very strong woman too, I remember coming to Memphis on summer break and she would be outside cutting her lawn, and it was a big lawn too, and I don't think my granny is over 5'5. She would be doing the damn thang and even if you offer to do it, she would do it herself. One thing though about my granny unlike most grannies, she wad not gonna throw down in the kitchen. I know I passed over a many of her meals for some McD's. Its funny though, some of the stuff she would prepare in the kitchen. Age has caught up with my granny though, she is no longer as mobile as she used to be, and has lost a lot of her independence. I kiss her on her forehead everyday that I see her, she gives me that smile. I hope she realizes how thankful I am to her for everything.

My great aunt Georgia. I spent a lot of time with her when I was little. She was a true southern disciplinarian. Would make a brotha go outside and pick his own switch, and then when I came back with something flimsy, had the nerve to go outside and get one that was gonna last a good minute. Anyway, she was tough, and stern and did not let me get away with squat. She took good care of me though, God Bless her Soul. Love you much.

No one is promised tomorrow, we think we will be here next week, next month, next year. Remind those you care for deeply just how much they are loved and appreciated by you.

1 Comments:

At 6:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YO ZEE,
ARE YOU STILL ALIVE OR HAVE YOU TRAVELED TO YOUR NEXT DESTINATION?

AN ADMIRER

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

LAURYN HILL lyrics
MAXWELL lyrics
free web counter
web counter